Pages

Thursday, September 18, 2014

The soap gremlins on attack!


 It's a beautiful day in the soap kitchen...



 a beautiful day for a soap....


 Would you be mine, could you be mine. 



I have always wanted to hand make soap, just like you...

 I've always wanted to swirly a do a soap, with you so.......

Hold up, hold up, that is not how it went down!


Somebody  call up Mr. Rodgers so he can come get his soap gremlins. While it was a beautiful day, it wasn't in my soap kitchen today. The soap gremlins were on full attack today, so I had to put my guards up. 

This is how it went down.

I have been working so hard trying to build up my soaps for the upcoming holiday shopping season. I have recently orders tons of fragrances to try out, in an effort to find that killer scent. Today I decided to try out a new fragrance called Cranberry Yuzu. From what I read, this fragrance doesn't have issues so I decided to soap it. 

Everything was going well. I was using one of my favorite vegan handmade soap recipes.  I love this recipe because I have found it to be very easy to work with. So I mixed in the clays and added my lye water, all was well. I was thinking I wanted to do a spoon swirl so I didn't batter to loose. So in with the fragrance and that's when the fun began. 





Working with handmade soap batter can be a bang against the wall if you don't know come back against the gremlins on attack. As you can see in this picture, my batter began to accelerate quickly. I had my batter all separated for mixing in my colors. Got those done and came back to my base color and my soap was nearly at a seize. 

I have heard of the soap gremlins on attack before when talking to other soapers. However, I had yet to experience them for myself, until today. The best thing to do in a situation like this is to remain calm. So I proceeded to mix my color as if the seize was not coming. 


I pulled out my sword (my stick blender) and gathered more ammo (water) and I began slaying the crap out those soap gremlins. The stick blender was working ok, but as soon as I stopped blending the batter would thicken up again. I was working with a water discount, so there was room for more without totally killing my soap. So in went about another tablespoon of water and back to stick blending. 



I the beat that soap right back into submission with just water and my stick blender. I was not about to let those gremlins get the upper hand over me. The interesting part was, the base color was the only part of the batter that gave be a problem. My other colors, while they were thick how I wanted, they were still workable. So in went the base color and the rest was a plop and swirl. 


As you can see I made a royal mess of my soaping area. I had soap flying everywhere trying to hurry it into the mold.

At the end of the day, I came out with a great soap. I can wait to cut it and show if off to the world. 

 



Happy Soaping!

No comments:

Post a Comment